I felt verbally harassed at work today. A customer, an uncle to be precise, took a picture of me without my permission. I commented that it was not appropriate to take my picture without asking for my permission and he took again a second one saying that he met too many people and needed some pic to remind him who was who so that he could remember who to refer when he dropped by to pick up his free gift. I told him I did not like my pic being taken and raised my hand to shield my face when he took a second pic. He said he too didn't like it too. Then he shouldn't have taken others' pictures without asking permission. He even commented that my face was flushing red, I totally felt harassed. He then further asked for my handphone number and asked if he could bring me out tonight for dinner and a movie called 'niao ren' (Birdman). Even his friend was shocked and asked if there was really such movie. It sounded so off that even his friend had to confirm with him. And he said yes there was such movie and repeating 'niao ren niao ren'. It sounded downright vulgar. When I was done with him to move on to another customer, he just kept asking me questions.
I really don't understand why some men are like that? It makes me hate them even more and that we, girls, are so vulnerable in this world. How else could I react other than being professional and smiled? And what I hated most was that there, my male colleague, a pharmacist as well, stood next to me and did not even say a word or help me out of my predicament. I just hated him for it. What further made my day worse was I asked my bf what he would have done if he were the one there. He thought for it a second and then said he wouldn't know what to do and he would do nothing as well. Well, my reply to my own question would be that I, as the male colleague, would ask my female colleague to attend to other customers, while I attend to the 'itchy' uncle. Am I too strong thinking or the males around me are just weak? Or am I too independent (I would like to think so) that I am not warranted for some protection? If I were a bimbo or a prettier girl or soft-spoken girl, would I get what every other 'normal' girl should get?
The other day, we went to an Escape Game and there was this girl, my bf's 'best friend' and there she was being offered help here and there when there were scary hanging dummies or some barriers in front or some climbing to do. Everyone just rushed to offer her a hand. And moi? They just let me climb myself or crawled myself or 'scared' by the dummies. Everyone, who were the males except me and her being the only females, including my bf, told her to stay put at a place and not to move around as it was too dark to see. I guess I was too outspoken and too 'zhi dong' instead of waiting and be patient.
I wish I were them, the soft girl, being offered gallantry and help whenever necessary and unnecessary and not being brushed off to do things by myself. My friend commented that I supported feminism and I was a strong girl thus I shouldn't crave for such trivial things. But sometimes I do wish for some gallantry. It makes me feel like a female.
No comments:
Post a Comment