Wednesday, November 4, 2009

work

I have been at work for 2 weeks and a half now. For now, I quite enjoy my job cos I am attached to manufacturing department which is what the seniors labelled as honeymoon. It is indeed Hawaii. Lol.. First 2 weeks, I was at the IV admixture where I got to go into the clean room to prepare IV drips. It was fun and something new but too bad it was only for 2 weeks. Well, I guess if it has been long, I would hate it, wouldn't I? The job there was practically about 3-4 hours. From 8-11am, we just waited for the prescriptions from the wards and prepared the NS, antibiotics etc to be brought into the clean room. Then we went in at 11am and we would normally come out around 2-3pm depending on the workload and after that...we would be FREE. My favourite was injecting antibiotics into the NS and the least favourite would be APS indents which required us to prepare the DDs in 50 ml syringes and the indent was normally 50 syringes and above. Imagine that we have to extract the DD and inject into NS and then extract them into 50 ml syringes and have to get rid of the bubbles. Sien.. After doing my part, I would go to the next room to check on the TPN preparations. Kaypo ma..and learned how to get rid of the bubbles for the adult TPN bag which is very very difficult. I am doomed as I will be alone in June next year for a week in TPN and I will have to get rid of the bubbles by myself and do all the calculations by myself..dangz! The longest time taken to rid the bubbles was 3hours and the shortest 15mins. DIE!!

Then, now I am in the non-sterile division which requires me to prepare creams, lotions etc and also pack the things indented by the wards. It was fun for the first few days now. I wonder how would I feel when I am alone next week. The work time is almost the same. Indents will only come around 8.30am and the packing normally ends around 10am depending on the days of the week-busiest would be Monday and Wednesday. And by 10am, the pharmacist assistants would ask us to makan and minum till 11am, then if there are something to pack, we would help, if there's nothing, goyang kaki lor..normally I would take use this time to go visit other departments and learn new things just to be prepared and my favourite spot will be either the IV admixture or the TDM room where I can learn to run the machine, just in case someone is dying on PCM poisoning when I am on-call.

Today, my first lunch call at the OPD from 12-2pm. It was fun doing fillings. Being my first time, I was a bit nervous and I couldn't even find the drugs but the assistants and pharmacists were really helpful and kind, they would show me where the drugs were located. Trust me, you wouldn't want to look for them yourself if it was your 1st time. The drug locations are weird..not in alphabetically order but in categories, not to mention that the doctors' writings are illegible and UGLY. Headache ar.. especially when there are lots of patients waiting, everyone is running around and shouting for numbers. There was once my senior from UKM, Chang Heng looked for a prescription as the patient's number was called and it was in my hand that time, luckily I have finished the filling and after that every time I saw him walk towards my bench, I would think the prescription he wanted was in my hand. LOL..

Actually, I am quite tired and sleepy now as I have been standing in OPD and walking around looking for drugs. And my feet are hurting even just for that 2 hours. Now, I understand why Lay Chai and Chee Hua are tired and sleep very early daily. Well, my turn's next.

2 comments:

sam said...

the most leceh thing in OPD was handling the DD... if DD was tally, then u r lucky, but when ur DD was missing...on that time, u will hate opd...

zephyrcj said...

haha..i totally agree with you...