Thursday, February 3, 2011

flood

Phew~I seriously want to thank the Pengarah Hospital Mersing for letting me go off early. It was raining so heavily on Monday when I was at work. The rain has been on and off for a few days in Mersing though not as bad as in the other districts such as JB, Kluang, Segamat which has already become an 'island' with Azizah stranded in there, and also Kota Tinggi. Upon reading news, I found out that 3 rivers overflowed and 5 more were threatening to overflow if the rain continued to pour. And one of the mentioned rivers was a river I would pass by in order to get to JB, Sungai Johor. I got worried and started asking around and the rain poured even harder, seemed like determined to cage me in Mersing. At last I went to see the Pengarah to ask for permission to leave on that afternoon itself and the next day, I would apply a leave. He said ok but there was no half-day leave and so he gave me 'kelonggaran', there was no need to apply leave for that half-day! Whoa!! Thanks a lot!! So understanding and generous of him!!

At 1pm, the rain got even harder and I rushed back home, luckily I have packed a day before, impatient to go back! LOL!! I just grabbed my bags and rushed to the car, made me feel like I was fleeing Mersing as the water was rising. Nah~Surprisingly, Mersing did not flood like the other unfortunate districts, just the roads between neighbouring districts and Mersing were flooded, causing a cut-off communication with the neighbouring districts. Kluang-Mersing road was the first to be cut off. Along Kota Tinggi and Mersing, there were a few low places were flooded but not too high that would stall my car though a few were threatening. The rivers were all quite full with teh tarik and Sungai Johor was quite a big river and it was 3/4 full, first time I saw. There was a place near Tanjung Sedili, Kota Tinggi, the water was threateningly high and a saga was stuck. I was so worried about my car that I almost cried, but thank god, my car was doing GREAT!! Thanks to mom and the car for being so good in shape. No lorry for me to follow close, so I just chose to follow a Wira which I regretted a bit as it threatened to be stopped by the water. I kept shouting in the car 'GO GO GO!!!' cos one shouldn't brake or slowed in the flood or would be stopped totally. I was stubborn and had to go to JB no matter what, I didn't want to spend my Chinese New Year alone in Mersing, so I just ran through the flood.

Fuiyo, luckily I got out just in time, if I waited till after work, I doubt I could come out cos the rain just got heavier. And the next day, Kota Tinggi-Mersing road was blocked due to flood, 0.2m. Crys~ I'm really grateful to have Kelvin in Johor to shelter me and save me from all these predicaments or else, I wouldn't know what to do, all alone in Johor. Well, this is really a great experience, driving through flood is definitely my first time!

No comments: