Saturday, December 13, 2008

book i read this holiday

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Thanks to Izzat for giving me such a good gift. It's my first time getting a book, a very thoughtful and perfect gift for a bookworm.

A few pages into Twilight, I made up my mind that it was not a book for me. Why? First, it's either the author is too childish, that her mind is like an open book or she's good in her job. Second, the storyline is just too predictable. At first to me, it was just another novel on how a teenage girl fell for a godly strong invincible vampire who treated her like a breakable doll. I forced myself to flip the pages as I was the one who pestered Izzat for the book, not as a gift but to lend me, mind you. As I got more and more involved, practically absorbed into the book itself, I found myself not being able to put down the book and ended up sleeping at 4am, not getting enough of it. At the last page, I was dismayed as it meant I had to get the second book, New Moon to quench my thirst (more like a lust). I was so eager to get the book as I got a sneak peek at New Moon at the end of the book, that I couldn't wait for Christmas to get it. It's probably just me who gotgoosebumps and scared when I read the climax wehre Bella was about to be killed by James,a dangerous vampire, and also how they waited in suspense for James to find them.

It can easily pass as an another typical love story but it's with a vampire, something I've dreamt since the first time I laid my eyes on Angel. And seriously, I even dreamed about agreeing to become a vampire. And this book is the best dream I would ever get, if I were to dream again to fall head over heel for a porcelain fair, golden-eyed, mesmerizing voice and godlike Edward. The way he treats Bella like she's a fragile doll and being protective over her is practically everything I want for a boyfriend, I don't mind he's a vampire, I mean I WANT him to be a vampire. I told Izzat about it and his response was "You, fragile??? You are more like queen-control type". Lol.. Anyway, it's a book that leaves you ask for more, a thirst for blood, I mean book..


Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter

I can't deny it anymore. A total letdown by Alexandra Potter or should I say yet another one? Her previous bok, I had to agree with Izzat, was not as nice as I thought it was. It's Becareful What You Wish For. That book *clearing my head* was not smooth at all. It can't be stringed. Anyway, back to Me and Mr. Darcy. Thinking that, she might have improved in this book, I bought it eagerly. But then, tsk-tsk. The first few chapters were ALMOST unbearable, not totally. What with all the monologues by Emily Albright, very little involvement of the people around her. She's always drowned in her own thoughts and speculations and also a worrywart, about 80% of the story is about her worrying over something and vomiting or feeling sick about something and I was sick with her. And they are all not stringed. It seems like the story cannot be connected. I had to force myself through the book, enjoying very little now and then, thinking when would Emily wake up that Mr. Darcy of hers was all a dream, a fantasy that she conjured. It was a good book though to teach us that Mr. Darcy is not real and always brooding, that our Mr. Right is not always good-looking or a gentleman like Mr. Darcy. He is described as every girl's wet dream in the book. Apparently he's not mine. Lol.. I just love the ending when she has really found the love of her life. It's every girl's dream to find their perfect Mr. Right.
To you I shall say, as I have often said before,
"Do not be in a hurry, the right man will come at last."
Jane Austen

Thanks For The Memories by Cecilia Ahern

A round of applause for her. Yet another great masterpiece by Cecilia Ahern. This book is about despair, guilt, sadness, anger, loneliness, depression, cynicism and finally HOPE. Joyce, after the lost of her child and marriage, gained something in return, a deja vu, they called. Somehow, Justin's memories ended up in her dreams, not only that, his tastes and knowledge as well as skills in art and architecture through a blood transfusion. They knew each other yet they did not know each other and fell in love unconsciously by just believing the bond was there. Magical. They took a very long detour to be together, practically from page 68 to 489, very long and painful. This book is so touching that my tears fell as tehy had for her previous four books. This book is different from the others as her others are different from the others where it is filled with more humur and more to life. I read and savoured every single word in it and could never get enough of it, like a vampire thirsty for blood. She really does a great job out of this book, a story I would have wanted to write if I could string my words as well as hers. She touches simple and insignificant things in life, things that we take for granted and makes them alive through words. Powerful. She seems to be able to put her heart into words at ease and every sentence touches my heart, a skill that I wish to have, hmmm...I wonder if she would not mind donating her blood to me. Lol..

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer

Somehow, the second book did not leave me as bloodthirsty as the first book. It did not make me want Eclipse that bad. It seems that the writer can convey better in her second book, it's clearer in her writing. In this book, Edward left Bella to let her live her human life. And then the wholte book became gloomy from that point onwards. It was all about how she was hurt with a hole inside her heart and seeked solace from Jacob who turned out to be a werewolf, vampire's eternal enemy. She had to choose between the two. She was about t choose the dog but Edward came back into her life. Typical! Now you know why I was not bloodthirsty. And then the whole Bella's description of Edward's features started again and tormenting. Somehow I find that it's getting more and more pathetic on Bella's side. She wants to become a vampire so badly and Carlisle has promised to vamp her but Edward does not approve and at the same time she wants to befriend Jacob. She has to choose but she can't. I want to be a vampire too. I can see myself in her but I do not have a vampire boyfriend and a besoted werewolf as best friend. Too bad.. Plus from the description of Edward, Alice, Emmet, Jasper, Rosalie, Carlisle and Esme, it seems to me that only beautiful people are chosen to be vampires, not someone like me. Or perhaps, beautiful people like them only exist centuries ago, it's more comforting to think this way. Lol..

No comments: