The nicknames in my life:
Bugs Bunny(due to my teeth)
Lola Bunny(due to my teeth too-just that she came out a little late)
Basker(by Vishnu)
CJ(my initial)
Cij(by Vishnu)
Zephyr(my longtime favourite username)
Sai Kee(by So Ching)
Wu Kui(aka tortoise bye Lee Wah)
Now, Zephyrus(Ζέφυρος) is 'the Greek god of the west wind. The gentlest of the winds, Zephyrus is known as the fructifying wind, the messenger of spring'. I didn't know that till my brother told me. I just knew the meaning of zephyr which is the gentle breeze, it is normally used by poets. I knew this name when I was in lower secondary from a storybook by R.L. Stine. Zephyr struck me as unique with its last 4 impossibly combined consonants which took me a few weeks to master. It is not pronounced as ze-fri or ze-fire as my friends always pronounced, it is pronounced as ze-fer.
I have always been avid for the Greek mythology, that is why I looked up Zephyrus just now and found that Zephyrus is actually a philanderer who marries his sisters and even fights his brother, Boreas over Chloris', another sister of theirs. One of his sisters and wives is Iris, the goddess of rainbow, another a harpy Podarge(aka Celaeno) who gives birth to a pair of horses, Balius and Xanthus, Archilles' horses. Surprisingly, Zephyrus is a bi, with so many wives, I can't believe that he even loves man. Most probably, he is fed up with female. The mortal man he falls for is Hyacinth, a very handsome and athletic Spartan prince. He fights for him with Apollo and when Apollo wins, he kills Hyacinth with a discus. What a sadist and vindictive man. I can't say that I am not, sometimes, I am sadist and vindictive too. LoLz..
Then, I stumbled across a story about a mortal woman called Psyche(pronounced as sai-kee) and Cupid. That's just another nickname of mine. Psyche, during her time, is the most beautiful mortal woman and that makes Venus jealous of her. Driven by jealousy, Venus asks her son, Cupid to make Psyche to fall for the vilest creature on earth. Cupid agrees but he falls for Psyche. An oracle tells her parents that her beauty is meant for a god when noone asks her hand in marriage. She is to be brought to a nearest mountain and there, Zephyrus flies her to a fair valley and a magnificent palace where she is attended by invisible servants until nightfall and in the darkness of night the promised bridegroom arrives and the marriage is consummated. Cupid visits her every night and they have sex; he demands only that she never lights any lamps because he does not want her to know who he is.
However, Psyche's sisters, being jealous, make up stories about her husband being a serpent, wanting to devour her and her unborn child at night, and urge her to kill him before she is killed. Believing her sisters, she lights a lamp that night to see who her husband is and with a knife in her hand, ready to slay him. When the light illuminates him, she knows he is Cupid. She can't bring herself to kill him and tries to kill herself instead but fails. She touches Cupid's arrow and accidentally pricks herself and desires her husband. When she begins to kiss him, the oil from the lamp drops onto his chest and awakes him. He is furious and flies away. Psyche manages to hold onto his heel but her muscle gives up after awhile. She drops to a place where Pan is nearby. He advises her to regain Cupid's love through service.
She tries hard and even confronts Venus, as advised by Hera and Ceres. Venus gives her impossible tasks but she manages them with the helps from many. At the final task, she falls into a deep sleep due to curiosity and Cupid, by then has forgiven her, saves her. Cupid begs Jove at Mount Olympus for help. Jove gives Psyche a drink made from Ambrosia, granting her immortality. They live happily ever after and give birth to a daughter named Volupta(which means Bliss or Delight).
Isn't that a sweet and lovely story? Well, I must thank my friends for giving me such a nice nickname though I disliked it as first. I am used to it now that everytime I hear the name, I turn. Sai Kee actually is a short-form of a longer name, sounds a bit disgusting but they shorten it for the sake of my pride.
A rather good combination, isn't it? Zephyr a philanderer and bi, Sai Kee(Psyche) the most beautiful woman and the wife of Cupid. By the way, fructifying means productive or fruitful. Get what I mean? Half of me wondering if I was them in my previous life, stupid and vain thought, I know. Lmao.. I do get the chance to fantasy, don't I? Anyway, from now on, I will appreciate my nicknames more. Thanks friends...
To get a more complete story:
on Zephyr - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyrus#West_wind_.28Zephyrus.29
on Psyche - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros_and_Psyche
on Harpy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy
No comments:
Post a Comment