Saturday, March 15, 2008

menstrual, menopause and caffeine..

Have your mom ever told you that if you drink coffee, your period will become worse? My mom always tells me that and this keeps me away from coffee for a week cos I don't want to get menstrual cramp or longer period. But lately, I think I am addicted to coffee, that I can only stay away from coffee at the max of four days. Yes, I don't want to deny anymore. I am addicted to coffee and need a fix everyday at 3pm.

I have been having doubts about caffeine having anything to do with menstrual symptoms, so I just looked it up just now, out of curiosity. Well, the result is that there are really some connections between those two. Caffeine(not only in coffee but also in chocolate, tea and soft drinks) actually aggravates the PMS. It is also a mood-altering substance which can make one more nervous and anxious. I think it holds some truth as it happens to me all the time. Lol.. Caffeine can also aggravate menstrual cramps and this is bad for those who have it every month.

Not only does it have to do with the menstrual and PMS, but it also affects menopause. Caffeine will aggravate sweating, hot flushes, anxiety and bone loss in menopause. This is shocking especially for those who has already gone through menopause and is taking hormone pills as well as drinking coffee at the same time, might develop Parkinson's Disease. Isn't this shocking? There is another one, menopause does not only happen to women in their 50s but also to some ladies in 20s. Sounds impossible isn't it?

Well, I guess I will just have to cut down the caffeine intake little by little. But then again, maybe it means for those who have 5 to 6 cups a day. Yeah yeah I know I am trying to twist it. Anyway, try to stay away from caffeine if you don't want menopause to be worse when it is already bad.




For those who goes through painful menstrual cycle or PMS, you can visit this site which helps you to alleviate the symptoms with diet- http://www.pcrm.org/health/clinres/menstrual.html

For those who want to know more about menopause and caffeine, visit this site- http://www.menopauseatoz.com/menopause-and-caffeine.shtml

No comments: