Saturday, June 7, 2008

sleepwalking and sleeptalking

Ok..this is creepy. I read about sleepwalking in the wiki and the information creeps me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepwalking

I am sure that it is not running in the family and I think I am the only one in the family who has the ability (ok, 'ability' sounds so grand and powerful, lol..). Well, I sleepwalk when I am under stress even if it is a very light one. I sleepwalk often during the exam period. I don't exert stress physically when I am awake but I do it in my sleep at night. Those who have shared a room with me for a long period have experienced them often. The funniest so far is me turning on the bed 180 degree with my knees bent. It happened in KTSN and Lee Wah saw it with her own eyes and couldn't help giggling. Funnily, I knew what I did but couldn't stop. The dangerous of all I could recall is me grabbing Yee Chiun's ear or was I scratching her forehead? I can't really remember, have to ask her. Luckily, I stopped when I felt my hand moving fast and jerking. Most of the time, I only sat up on the bed, lay back, sat up again, lay back and the process could be repeated up to five six time the max. I remembered shocking Hsiu Ling by sitting up twice when we were vacationing in Langkawi. Like the article states, I can recall what I did. Most of the time I am awaken by the coldness of the floor once I swing my legs onto the floor. Once, I almost walked out of the room but stopped when I was trying to turn the doorknob. The scariest of all is the missing 2-hour during the final last sem when I was found sleeping at the end of Yee Chiun's bed. The article states that "Because sleepwalkers are unaware of their present surroundings, they may divulge information that they would otherwise keep secret", I am wondering if I did blurt out the guys I have my eyes on. Lol..

Oh, and of course, most of the time, if I don't sleepwalk, I sleeptalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeptalking

And most of the time, I speak incoherently. I don't think it runs in the family though once I did catch my mom mumbling in her nap. When I was a kid, once, I dreamed about my family and I boarding a ship and the ship was sinking. Trying to save them, I screamed really loud for my parents and my brother, both in the dream and real world. Surprisingly, I was not awaken by it but my dad was cos the next morning, he asked what happened. I can't say I sleeptalk when I am under stress cos it seems to happen anytime anywhere and most of the time, I didn't know it happened. Back in KMK, my roommate was surprised and she said she didn't know what I was talking about. In KTSN, I bet Lee Wah and the others caught me often and they were used to it. The clearest speech I could remember was me talking to Kah Wai scaring her especially when it was the first time she overnighted in my room as the others went back to their home. At the stroke of midnight, I propped myself up on my elbow, opened my eyes (yeah, I saw hazily Kah Wai sitting on Lee Wah's bed studying), checked the time..

me: Oh my god, I am late for the dinner.
KW (shocked): Huh?! What dinner?
me: The Computer Club dinner. It was at 10pm..
KW: Are you sure? It's 12am already. Go to sleep.
me: No, it was at 10pm and I missed it. It was the Computer Club dinner...
KW: CJ, I think you'd better get back to sleep. You are just dreaming.
With that, I fell back onto the bed shutting my eyes till the next morning.

Now, I knew why it scared her that she quickly turned in right after that episode. Who wouldn't? It was midnight and me waking up telling her about some dinner I was missing at midnight?! Lol.. Actually, there was supposed to be a dinner that night but it was postponed to next week. The next one I remember is one whole bunch of people, about 5-6 of them, coming into my room, chatting with Lee Wah on her bed. They did try to tone down their voice, knowing that I would be irritable if I was awaken unwillingly but they failed when everyone tried to speak at the same time. Again, I scrunched my eyes to the light, up on my elbows and every pair of eyes suddenly turned to me and mouth shut tight..

me: why are there so many people in my room?
Fell onto the bed and slept till the next morning, slightly aware that after about 3 seconds of mouth-gaping-at-the-sleeping-me, they scrambled out of the room one over the others. Lol..

Well, Yee Chiun got it a couple of time and it did spook her a bit every time as I didn't seem to be speaking in human language when I sleeptalked. Often, I really do not know what I speak cos they are not a part of what I dream. If it is a dream speech, I am normally awaken by the first word I say. Lol..I wonder who will be my next victim.

No comments: