Sunday, June 8, 2008

what i saw..

I didn't know what has got into me. I went out to window-shop on a whim today and very casually too-a baby-T, a home short and my traveling sandals. After mopping the floor, I wanted to treat myself at Old Town so I messaged Chuan Poh to see if he was already on his way back to Muar. He was at Pudu the time I messaged him around 12.30pm but his bus would only depart at 4pm. And all he could do was roaming around Central Market for the next 3 hours plus. I pitied him and myself too for noone to lunch with. So, I suggested I fetch him back to Setapak, lunch with me at Old Town and then fetch him back to Pudu for his bus. He agreed! Unfortunately, my brother needed the car so there was a drastic change of plan at the last minute. We ended up surveying shoes at Times Square till 3.30pm, lunching at Old Town-sticking to my former plan.

After leaving him at Pudu, I took the train home exchanging train at Masjid Jamek to Putra. It was a bit crowded for a Sunday. There was this Malay couple with 2 kids in the same train with me. And guess what!?! The lady breastfed her child-aged around 1-in front of me. And of course in front of the others. Luckily, her tudung was large enough to cover her upper body. Thoughts rushed through my mind as I looked at her fumbling her baju kurung. I wasn't sure of what she was doing at first as her back was facing me, then I realized as she adjusted her apparels.

First thought: Wow! Someone is breastfeeding in the public! Not that I haven't seen, I was exposed to it when I was in primary when I attended a tuition where my teacher breastfed in front of us.

Second thought: Ok, it's normal to do that as I have seen articles regarding breastfeeding in the public and most of the women are white.

Third thought: BUT she's a MALAY!!! I thought it was unethical for them to do it, I mean exposing flesh in the public, indirectly suggesting the word breast.

Fourth thought: *look around* What are the other males sitting opposite her thinking?

Fifth thought: Haven't she thought of pumping out her milk into a bottle at home if she knew that she needed to feed her kid?

Sixth thought: Wow! She does have lots of milk or hormone cos her child is about 1 year old plus. I thought breast milk is only available for 6 months after birth. Lol..

Seventh thought: Goodness! When is she going to stop? 3 stations have already been passed.

So, it got my mind reeling thinking about my future. I do plan to breastfeed as it can help me slim down, lower my probability of breast cancer and of course, stop menses for as long as you breastfeed! Which girl wouldn't want that?!! HOWEVER, I will not do that in the public like her. I will pump the milk out before I step out of my house if I am going to bring my baby out which, if given a choice, I would choose not to. I guess I think too much already. Lol..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom said u can breastfeed ur baby as long as u want... but people usually breatsfeed till d child reach 2-yo. bcos after that the baby can eat solid food.

zephyrcj said...

2 years old!!?!!? I thought we can only breastfeed for 6 months! wow something new.. Maybe i should try in the future so that I can keep fit for 2 years and no period for that 2 years too