Saturday, December 1, 2007

somehow it hits me..

It hits me all the time when I type my blog. I wonder how many of my readers would actually read through the whole entry from the head to toe without scanning it first, catching familiar names, highlighted words or quotes, then only decide if that piece worths their time. I have readers complaining they are long, lots of difficult words (by their standards). Even my housemates sometimes said the length is a real turnoff. It makes me think if I have actually introduced the wrong group of people my blog. There I hear people saying their English is bad and want to improve, here I hear people commenting about my blog being too long and the words are hard to understand. It's always good to keep a dictionary within reach. I have this level of English today is because I keep repairing my torn Thesaurus Oxford dictionary. If you are lazy to even flip through it, try online dictionary. Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. It strikes me that if a blog is interesting, the readers won't mind the length. Does this mean all the while that my blog is not interesting at all and that the length is just an excuse? I don't understand why I even bother to split it into paragraphs for easy reading(or scanning) when people find it longer just by a few paragraphs. I don't mind how many read my blog ( I bet can be counted with 10 fingers) but I mind if one decides it's not worth his time by just a glance at the first sentence and the length. This means my opening is not catchy enough to make you stay. Maybe I am too hard on myself as it also means that I have failed.

Maybe if I try poetry, it may make people stay but then there will be more difficult words and hidden meanings and this means more complaints. For instance, how many know what zephyr means before I explain?

p/s: No offence

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe u want to be a good writer gua..
i don't mind to be a bad writer, i mean with poor languate.. or no one understands what i write..
cos i write what i wan to write..
good luck~