Today I had to give counseling at a primary school where there was a kind of exhibition programme going on. Visitors came to have their blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol levels tested. They will also get the diet consultation from JPD and some drug counseling from us.
I didn't really give any proper counselings, most are done by Yuan Hui, Yah Yin, Cheng Yuen and Ying Ying. All I ever did was to stand at the side and listen to them or look into the MIMS and BNF but still I was of no use as I couldn't turn up with anything useful from the references. I tried giving counselings on what type of food to consume and exercise to do. From here, I find that I know nothing much about drugs instead I know more about diet and exercise. Most of the visitors have problems with their high blood pressure and high cholesterol level so I guess everyone could do it, I mean telling them to reduce fattening and oily food and also exercise 3-4 times a week 20-30 minutes each.
What saddens me is that I love to jump to conclusion and give too much information that confuses the consumers. All the time I couldn't answer questions regarding drugs even though I knew I have read about it and also I was never sure of what I told them. I feel bad and guilty if what I told them is wrong. I definitely will be a bad pharmacist if I continue like this. But what can I do? I know people will tell me to study more, memorize more, gain more experience etc. Don't expect me to memorize the whole MIMS and all the drugs registered in Malaysia and also all their SE. This is just too impossible and too much for me.
Have I chosen the wrong field? I have never thought of opening a pharmacy before as I know I have no confidence in what I say. I have always wanted to work in a lab where I won't endanger people's life or need to communicate with human. Is this weird?
Oh well, I know people will tell me practice makes perfect. But get this, human is not perfect, why practise? Told by my friend once. I have no motivation whatsoever to improve myself now..just on the spot just now yeah..but not now.. I feel bad for torturing myself like that, forcing my mind to think and do what they don't like. I want to free myself.. Knowledge is pain.. And knowing too much can kill. No?
1 comment:
hey, must jia you oh~ i've lost my way before also... but, we are future pharmacist, so we must work towards it~!
i also dunno much de lah... feel so scared tat i would face such a big responsibilities in the future..
so.. we both jiayou together~
Post a Comment