Saturday, September 8, 2007

omigod...

I have just got back from the Pharmacy Awareness Programme organized by my University. It's damn tiring as I had to stand and walk the whole time there and calling people's names for their turn to take the blood glucose and cholesterol levels. Though not much done on my part, still the smiling and handling the customers drained my energy. I had to tend to their questionings and explained why it took such a long time.

After the last customer, I had my blood glucose and cholesterol level measured. And guess what!! They are ultra high..but my blood pressure was rather low-109/65(this is considered high, once I have got 95/65). Yeah, I have postural hypotension. The blood glucose was 5.1mmol/l which was within the range of 4-7mmol/l before meals and the last meal I had before was 11am. Phew..a relief.. But the cholesterol was unbelievable. I mean look at me..I am so fit, so muscular, strong and healthy but how could it be 7.4mmol/l. Yes, 7.4 indeed. It was way over the range of 5.2-6.2 which is borderline and <5.2>6.2 is at high risk of heart disease.

After the result came out, everyone present was asking whose reading was that as it was shockingly high. And no elderly was in sight. I had to say it shocked me too and I can't blame it all on genetic though I might have got it from my mom. Not only the cholesterol worries me, the blood glucose as well, we have diabetes mellitus type II running in the family.

Yaya I admit it it's all because of the food I consume. I regretted knowing the levels because I got into blue mood and brooded about it, thinking hard what I had consumed for the past several days. Not to mention that I have to control my eating habit from now on and there goes my motto 'Live to eat, not eat to live'. Yeah, I can blame noone except me. Been consuming curries and dessert with coconut milk filled to the brink-especially when I fell sick- and haven't exercised for a month, thanks to the exams and also I had been down these few days. I had 2 half-boiled eggs, butter and dessert yesterday with coconut milk. An egg this morning with tosai. Been having lots of poultry, beef, mutton and squid ah.. and also deep-fried food..almost-everynight-late night snack. They are all irresistible with KFC, Pizza Hut, Kenny Rogers, Old Town, Steven's Corner within walking distance and also McD a phone-call away. Other than that, I live in a place where seafood is a must. Not to say it's a must but we have it often especially when we have guests. Well, who else can I blame other than my mouth and lust? Yeah the genes...

I thought my cholesterol level was perfect as I have been taking care of my food intake by reducing the transfatty acid..but who knows thanks to the lust and the temptations. I just have to be stricter with the food but I know I can't so I am asking people around me to restrain me, giving me cold turkey and all. Really need to take care of my body when I am still young so that I can spoil it in the future when I can afford to fulfill my lust. While on the way back just now, I had tried my best to drag myself away from the dessert stall. One step to the healthy me.

I will still hold on to the motto 'I live to eat, not eat to live'. What is life after all if we have to give up food? Eating is happiness as the chinese saying goes. And people are waiting for me to introduce them all the nice yummy food.

No comments: