Sunday, September 2, 2007

why can't hold hand?

The other day when I was watching a movie with my housemate and there was a couple in the movie holding hands, it triggered something I had stored at the back of my mind since long long ago. Once, I used to ask myself why I can only see couple holding hands and not friends or even siblings. It's a weird question, I know, I'm just being curious, after all..

After the scene, I brought up the question and asked Neoh about it, as usual with his eyes and mind and ears glued to the screen, he totally ignored me. When I repeated the question again and held his hand, he gave me the most natural reaction of all by jerking his hand away. Now, why? I mean couples show their affection for each other by holding hands and other physical contacts but why not friends and siblings show their affection and love this way other than hugging?

I brought the same question up again at on 30th of August and Yuan Hui said I could hold her hand if I want to, I gladly accepted it. When I asked if Chuan Poh wanted to hold mine(my hands are very soft and smooth and delicate for your information), he moved away from me-another natural reaction. Well, his reason was to keep his virgin hand to his girlfriend.

Yuan Hui told me that this is the culture in which we are brought up that we are not used to holding hands with friends and siblings to show affection. Don't blame the culture, it's the human. I said it because, later while I was waiting for the firework, I noticed two girls holding hands and the bigger sized was quite protective of the smaller one and I straightaway leaned to my friends and asked if they were lesbians. There..I jumped to a conclusion again just by looking. No wonder friends, be it same gender or different, by holding hands will only make people think more than necessary. With people like me thinking and jumping to conclusion in just a blink of eye will make others reluctant to show affection in public.

My girlfriends said they wouldn't want to hold their brothers' hand. Why? One of them said she was too embarrassed. Well, I am not embarrassed to hold my brother's hand, it's just that I dislike touching his palms, his palms used to sweat a lot. But I think they are better now because he knows how to care for his body more than I do.

Now the more I think of it, I find that I discriminate whom I want to hold hand with. When I imagine myself holding all my friends' hands, I just can't accept that. Again, discrimination. I think if there's enough of affection for one, I will show it. Oh well, if anyone can tell me what you think, please do so..

No comments: